Looking for a job? Presentation is everything!
When applying for a new position it is important that you present yourself professionally in order to best sell yourself to your potential future employer. Essentially you only have one opportunity to submit your resume (and potentially be interviewed) for each position, so it is crucial that you make the absolute best impression you can. As a result, you need to put your best foot forward. Learn how with our tips and hints.
Tips for presenting your resume:
- Your Resume should be no longer than 3 pages. Be clear and precise with the information you provide.
- Your Resume is your personal marketing tool. A potential employer should read it and want to know more about your skills and experience, and how you can add value to their organisation;
- Make sure your resume is well written and formatted.
- When presenting your resume or applying for a job, make sure you always include a brief cover letter, which has been custom written for each job that you are applying for.
Some interview tips you need to know:
- Do your research. Be sure to know as much as you possible can about the organisation in advance. Look at their website and corporate structure
- Be sure you know where to go, and make sure you are on time;
- Do your best to engage with the interviewer, be yourself, don’t be nervous, ask questions, and demonstrate your interest in the role;
- Ensure that you are well presented – it is always better to be slightly over dressed, than under dressed.
Certain positions may require you to have previous experience in the industry before you can proceed. If you’re just starting out, this can prove to be a frustrating stumbling block. However, it needn’t necessarily be an obstacle!
Volunteering may be a great way to build up your knowledge in a hands-on environment, not to mention giving a much-needed practical boost to your CV. A traineeship is another great way to gain a qualification while developing the skills required in a particular industry.
No experience? No problem. Start building yours today.
You don’t have the right Qualification?
Job seeking can be competitive at the best of times. But if you’re going for a more advanced or perhaps niche position, certain academic credentials may be pre-requisites.
Luckily, if you don’t currently have the right qualifications, there are a number of courses you can take to help you get to where you want to go.